Thursday, July 3, 2014

Feedings

Have I mentioned that I nursed both of my bio kids and this whole formula/bottle thing is foreign to me???  Thank goodness the directions are on the can!

Speaking of cans.  Cans of formula are not cheap!  I saved us a LOT of money by being a buffet...just sayin'. 

As a 'state child,' Dumplin automatically qualifies for state assistance in the form of WIC.  His voucher covers ten cans of formula per month.  This is not enough for a month of feedings.  Another reason I am so thankful that his doctor gave us four cans at our visit.

Dumplin takes a six ounce bottle every three hours.

His first foster mom noted in paperwork that it was taking him nearly an hour to take his bottle.

We never found this to be true, maybe 25-30 minutes, but I did wonder what might have been the issue.  I decided to check the bottles she sent with him.  I noticed that the nipples were marked with a '0' (zero)....meaning, newborn.  This baby is five months old, why is he drinking from newborn nipples??  I went to the store to see about different sizes and decided to buy size 2 nipples for a 6 month old.

Here's where my brain went...
1.  It took him so long to eat because he could barely get anything out of the too-small nipples, he'd get frustrated, or tired, and quit.
2.  While working so hard to drink from the too-small nipples, he was burning calories he needed to grow...he was tiny.
3. Let's up the nipples and see if it helps.

My theory may or may not have been exactly right, but what happened?
1.  He took his bottles in about 15 minutes.
2.  He started gaining weight. 

We went back to the doctor today for Dumplin's official six month check up and shots.  He now weighs 15lbs 2 oz (up 1lb 10oz) and has grown 1/2" in three weeks.

I'd say feedings are going well.  ;-)


1 comment:

  1. i was in the same boat. nursed two bios and then was handed two babies. thank goodness for WIC. i had no idea about the nipple thing until my sister told me. thankfully, every kid i have been given has gained plenty of weight here. i saw similar issues with the foster family and my youngest child. he is fat and happy now. PS actually nursed sophie a little bit because i was still nursing kylee. WHILE SHE WAS STILL TECHNICALLY IN FOSTER CARE! i know, i'm such a rebel ;)

    ReplyDelete