Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Father's Day

When we got Dumplin, we knew the other 'characters' in the story were bio mom, bio dad and maternal bio grandpa. The only thing we knew about any of them:  Mom wasn't where she could ask for visits.  Dad was 'dad' but hadn't had a paternity test.

Just before Father's Day, Dumplin's caseworker, Dee, called me to see if we'd be willing to meet bio dad for a visit.  Apparently he had told her that he understood that asking for a visit ON Father's Day wouldn't be fair to my husband, so he was wondering about the day after.  We thought that was kind and agreed to the visit.

I printed off a few pictures of Dumplin to give Dad.  I also framed an "I love you, Dad" on which I had stamped Dumplin's feet.  In our certification classes, we had discussed that recognizing holidays for the bio parents could be a warm gesture....so Dad would get a little Father's day gift.

Husband and I took Dumplin to the visit together....we needed to both meet bio dad.  It had been about two weeks since he had seen Dumplin.  He spent the day with him in the DCS office the day the first foster family dropped him off.   From then, Dad didn't know who had Dumplin.  I can't imagine.

We updated Dad about the doctor visit we had had and informed him about the upcoming MRI, giving him the time and location.  It was actually only three days away.

Dad seemed nice.  He was able to comfort Dumplin when we was fussy, so that was nice.  Although, it was quite hard to not step in and offer assistance, I let dad deal with him.  I think it made him feel good that he could comfort him.  We gave him the little gifts and he seemed to really appreciate them.

We stayed about two hours.  Lots of small talk.  Got a few more details about him and Mom....and I decided in my brain that they probably shouldn't be together.

When it was time to leave, we parked in different directions, so we said our goodbyes.

Dad said he'd try to come to the MRI appointment.

We'll see.  

No comments:

Post a Comment